Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kindergarten - Day 4

As I wrote about last week, Chris' car is out of commission, so we started our morning out by taking Daddy to work. After a quick run through Dunkin' Donuts I took the boys to our favorite park to have our nature morning. Brian, Sean & Colin all ran around the park and had a ball. Brian and Sean pretended that they were waiters at Cracker Barrel and took my order, put it in to the "kitchen", and then delivered the meal. Colin, just ran around getting sweaty. We only lasted about an hour before the sweat was pouring off all of us - let's just say summer is nowhere close to over!

After we got home and cooled off, we went upstairs and said our Morning Prayer and got started with school. Today was a lighter day. We talked about the apple blossom and what comes after the apple blossoms fall off the tree. They boys colored in a picture of an apple blossom. Okay, Brian meticulously colored his picture and Sean colored his all brown. I read Meet Mrs. Applebee again while they were coloring. Colin is very cute, because he comes up to the folder I have the Alphabet Path Storybook in and points to the picture of Mrs. Applebee and says "bee". See, even Colin is listening!

We alaso reviewed this Sunday's Gospel reading. Brian actually sat in his chair and told me he was going to pray while I was reading. I changed up my reading, and paraphrased the Gospel and really talked about what it means to deny yourself something.

We worked on more pages in our Explode the Code books. I swear, I think Brian would just work straight through that book if I let him. Today was not as good a day for Sean when it came to doing work. He put his book away and went off to work with the movable alphabet. Sean hasn't been napping at all this week while we've been schooling, and it was starting to show.

Finally, I had the boys pick out some books and bring them in our room and we all laid on the bed and read books to calm ourselves down. Afterwards we had some lunch, and then I decided that there would be naps, at least for Colin and Sean. I told Brian that he could play in the playroom until I got Sean to fall asleep, but Brian didn't want to be alone. So instead, Brian, Sean and I took a nap together in my bed. It really made the afternoon go so much better.

Our final activity today was to make aluminum foil "A"s. I found a template of a capital and lowercase letter a and we took glue and tore up some aluminum foil to make sparkly "A"s. The boys really had fun with this project.

Like I said, today was lighter on academics. Tomorrow I have to help out at church in the morning, so maybe Daddy can lead some lessons!

No comments: