Thursday, August 21, 2008

Indoor Olympics

Well, my plan was to have some outdoor Olympic Games for the boys to play, but T.S. Fay had me rethink my plans. Instead, we opted for out Indoor Olympics, and boy, did Brian, Sean & even Colin, have fun!

We began our events with the Towel Scootch Obstacle Course. The object was to sit on a handtowel and scootch your way around the chairs to get to the finish line. I forgot that I have 2 very competitive boys, so we ended up having each boy make his way through the obstacle course on his own rather than race through it. Fun for them, sanity for Chris and I.
Next up, Cloud Blowing. The boys used straws to blow the clouds (cotton balls) off of the sun and off the table. Chris was trying to get Colin to blow "out" instead of sucking in!
We then took the straws and used them for the "javelin" toss. The boys all stood against the wall and threw the "javelins". They then counted how many tiles they threw the "javelin".
Finally, we had Cloud Catching. I think they enjoyed this one the most. Here they are in anticipation of the clouds falling.
I went upstairs and tossed scarves over the wall to the waiting boys below. They scrambled to catch the scarves before they hit the floor. Then they would trek back up the stairs, hand me back the scarves, race down the stairs and be ready to start all over again.
After playing our Olympic Games, we read Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Imperial China. We talked about the different things that were invented by the Chinese: kites, paper, paper money, umbrellas, fireworks, steel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And to think there are people who wonder why any of us homeschool! What an AWESOME day!