Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kindergarten - Day 3

I am REALLY enjoying learning at home with my kids. I know, I know, remind me of this post when we have a bad day! :-)

Today began our day with our Morning Prayer. It really warms my heart that both Brian and Sean reminded me (not that I had forgotten) that we needed to say our Morning Prayer. Both boys read the prayer loud and strong. We then re-read the Gospel - this seems to be the hardest part of school, they have a hard time focusing on the Bible stories. But I am reading it nonetheless, because I just know they are still hearing the Word of God. I also read them about the life of St. Monica as it is her feast day. They colored a picture of St. Monica while I read to them. Brian remembered that St. Augustine was her son and that he lied to her. He also remembered that St. Monica worried about her son. I was very proud of him for listening so well.

For the Alphabet Path, I found a game that utilized the Letter "A". I said a bunch of different words and when the boys heard me say a word that started with the short "a" sound, they had to say "achoo". They got so silly, and had such fun with the game. I heard them later in the day playing it with each other.

We did a few more pages in our Explode the Code workbooks. They are still really enjoying this work. I have been very impressed with how much Brian already knows. Sean is just a maven at reading, so this is more of a review for him and it makes him feel good reading. But Brian actually knows how to read better than I knew - he just lets Sean do it for him normally!

When Colin went down for his nap we brought out the Cuisenaire Rods. This was a huge success. Both Brian and Sean had different ways of working with the rods - and boy did it correspond with their personalities!
Sean is my expressive, free-spirit child.
And Brian is my organized, rational thinker!
After exploring the rods for a while we moved on to M is for Music. We read about the letter "A" - for Anthem. We talked about our National Anthem, and also John Philips Sousa - and then the boys marched around to the Stars & Stripes Forever. They had so much fun marching; they just kept wanting to march and march and march around the room!
We ended our day by starting along the American History Trail. We read about what children looked like and wore in Colonial times. We will add in some crafts later this week, but we were about at the end of our attention span, and I needed to get to a doctor appointment and then pick Chris up at the airport.

No comments: