Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kindergarten - Day 2

Day 2 was a really good day. We began our schooling day around 10 am. In general, I'm not a morning person, so this seems to be working (so far) for the boys and I. We began our morning with our Morning Offering. Both Brian and Sean read the prayer that I have printed out and put in a frame on our prayer table. Sean then read the prayer for Colin so that he could be part of the morning process - it was very sweet.

We then moved on to reading the Gospel for this coming Sunday. We also discussed the word of the week, "forfeit" and what it means. We also talked about the word "deny" - Brian seemed to like the new words and was using them in sentences. We then continued our religion discussion by reading about the Angel of God in Letters From Heaven, and coloring a picture of an angel. We talked about guardian angels, and Sean ran into his room, calling me in there to show me the angel plaque that is hanging between his bed and Brian's. He told me that it shows him that he has a guardian angel. We then talked about St. Anne again and colored a picture of her. Are you seeing a pattern here? Brian is now into coloring and I am running with this one!

We read Meet Mrs. Applebee again and listened to the Song of the Apple Blossom Fairy - Sean read the words along with me as the song was playing. I then told them the story of St. Albert the Great and St. Ambrose. While I was reading about St. Albert, there is a part of the story that asks the reader if they know where the largest astronomical observatory is - and Brian looked up from coloring and said, "No, Mommy, where is it?" - yay, he was listening!

We read our rain forest books and talked about the different animals that live in the rain forest. We also read Angus Lost - to tie in to our Letter A week. The boys really liked this book. Brian wanted to know why Angus left his home. We talked about what it is like to think the grass is greener.

After lunch and putting Colin down for his nap, Brian, Sean and I worked with our Gnomes and their gems. They got a little rambunctious and starting throwing the gems all over the school room, so I put an end to math!

Reading and handwriting came next. I had Brian and Sean work with the wooden letter pieces from our Handwriting Without Tears set. They marched around to the music. Then we polished the pieces. I put the pieces in a pillowcase and had them reach in and try to figure out which piece they grabbed. And finally we played a little game of follow the leader with the pieces. Both Brian and Sean love working with Explode the Code. They don't know how to write yet, so we are working around the writing part of the lessons, but Brian and even Sean are getting good at circling items.

We ended our day with a reading about the letter "A" in our S is for Sunshine book. We aren't going to follow along the Geography Trail, but rather utilize our state book and N is for Nation's Capital to remember our old stomping grounds.

All in all a pretty good 2nd day. I really feel like I'm spending more quality time with my children. Despite the fact that I have been home with them every day of their lives I am really getting to know them better now.

No comments: